BANGKOK — Members of the New Democracy Movement issued a statement this morning saying they will not flee the country and will continue “fighting for freedom and democracy.”
The statement referenced fresh warrants and summons for several of the groups’ members in the wake of their campaign to call attention to the Rajabhakti Park scandal and vowed to remain in the country to call attention to the allegations of corruption in the army’s construction of the billion-baht park.
“We would like to confirm our remarks that we will not flee anywhere. We will publicly and peacefully live our lives,” it read. “We, then, will continue fighting for freedom and democracy against the Junta until our last day to ensure that justice will be achieved.”
Today’s announcement comes two days it became public an activist facing a military tribunal over a charge of sedition for criticizing the junta had fled the country.
That activist, Thanet Anantawong, was named in six warrants approved Wednesday by a military court. The warrants sought their arrest for allegedly violating the ban on political gatherings of five or more people when they tried to board a train last month to visit the park in Hua Hin, Prachuap Khiri Khan province.
Anond Nampa, who represents Thanet and a number of the group’s activists, said the 25-year-old and his family had been experiencing harassment since he was released on a 100,000-baht bond last month. Thanet has since said he will eventually return to face justice.
To reach us about this article or another matter, please contact us by e-mail at: email@example.com.