PRACHUAP KIRI KHAN — A Burmese woman and her newborn baby died last night because of a traditional in-house fire meant to assist women who recently give birth.
Three other relatives, who were sleeping next to the woman and her child, are also in critical condition.
The incident took place at a residential building in Klong Wan district, Prachuap Kiri Khan province.
Witnesses said 22-year-old Kyi Phar Tor gave birth to a boy at a local hospital on 17 July and returned to her room last night to undergo a yoo fai ritual — a traditional therapy to help women recover from childbirth that involves making a fire in a closed room.
However, due to the lack of air ventilation, smoke filled the room and deprived the occupants of oxygen in their sleep.
According to the neighbours, Ms. Kyi's husband returned to the room the following morning after working a night shift on a fishing boat. The fisherman then reportedly called for help from neighbours and brought his family to hospital, but Ms. Kyi and her baby were dead by the time they arrived.
Ms. Kyi's relatives — a 40-year-old woman, 15-year-old girl, and 9-year-old boy — remain in critical condition, medical workers say.
For comments, or corrections to this article please contact: [email protected]