Thai drug smugglers risk deportation from Israel

(30 October) Police announced the arrest of Thai labourer who smuggled amphetamine to sell
 in Israel and vowed to tackle the issue to maintain the good relations between the two
countries. 


A
total of 16,320 amphetamine pills were found hidden inside shampoo and shower gel bottles belonged
to Mr. Suchart Duangmao, 31. Reportedly, each pill could be sold up to THB 2,000 in
Israel. 

Pol.Gen. Pongsapat Pongcharoen, Secretary of Office of the Narcotics Control Board, said
during the announcement that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had been informed by the chief officer
from Israel′s Office of the Narcotics Control Board about the arrest of Thai labourers in possession
of 100,000 pills in Israel. 

It is believed that 80% of the drugs were sent to Israel by post, while the other 20% was
smuggled in by people traveling via plane. 

Mr. Suchart, who works as a fruit picker in Israel, confessed he was hired by
his fellow Thai worker to smuggle the drugs for THB 500,000. The pills would be sold at ILS 200 or
THB 1,800 each. The officials added that there is over THB 48 million cashflow in the drug
network. 

Pol.Gen. Pongsapat also stated that the Thai government does not wish to let such notorious
issues to come between Thai labour and Israel employers, and that the Thai authorities are also
willing to cooperate with the Embassy of Israel to handle such crime. 

For comments, or corrections
to this article please contact:
[email protected]

You can also find Khaosod English on Twitter and Facebook
http://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish
http://www.facebook.com/KhaosodEnglish