PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN — Swarms of jellyfish continue sending swimmers to hospital a month after their stings killed a tourist on Koh Samui, prompting louder warnings for visitors to be careful.
In the coastal province of Prachuap Khiri Khan, 10 tourists were stung by jellyfish in the sea off Huay Yang beach during the past weekend alone, including seven who required hospitalization, local official Thawatchai Daengcham said Monday.
“Fishermen in the area report seeing many types of jellyfish getting pushed into the shore by the current,” Thawatchai said after a tour of the beach. “Maybe it’s because of wastewater in the sea.”
He said many box jellyfish, whose especially potent venom was blamed for two deaths in the past 15 months, have been spotted. Rescue workers will be posted along the beach for tourists’ safety until the jellyfish migrate somewhere else, Thawatchai said.
Box jellyfish stings can be deadly. However, other types of non-lethal jellyfish were responsible for the recent string of stings, said Yanwuth Sudpimsri, another local administrator.
Restaurants located near the beach have been instructed to keep vinegar at the ready, as it can help slow the spread of jellyfish toxin, Yanwuth said.
“When you are stung by jellyfish, don’t press the area where the burn is,” Sitthisuk Aiyara, a local physician, said. “Use vinegar to clean the wound and quickly seek medical attention.”
A 20-year-old German woman died after being stung Oct. 6 on Koh Samui. In August 2014, a 5-year-old French boy died on Koh Phangan.
To reach us about this article or another matter, please contact us by e-mail at: [email protected].