PRACHUAP KIRI KHAN – A pigeon flew into a cluster of electric wires and caused a blackout throughout an entire district in Prachuap Kiri Khan province yesterday.
The blackout started at around 3 pm on 26 January after a loud explosion was heard near power lines in front of Wat Kuiburi Temple. The incident affected nearly all of the households in Kuiburi district, officials say.
Firefighters were dispatched to put out the flame on the electricity pole that followed the explosion.
A dead pigeon, which was apparently electrocuted to death, was found right below the electricity pole where the blast occurred.
An official from the Provincial Electricity Authority office in Kuiburi said that the bird accidentally touched two opposing electric wires with its wings and caused a disruption in the electricity current.
He added that the PEA will "assist" residents whose electric appliances were damaged in the blackout.
Clusters of overhanging electricity wires are a common source of complaint for many Thais who live in urban areas, as the utility poles are subject to frequent accidents and disruptions.
Last week, the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) suggested that authorities finally move all the utility lines underground to avoid further accidents.
The NBTC will submit the proposal to the ruling military junta in February, the Bangkok Post reported.
For comments, or corrections to this article please contact: [email protected]