Porto Thrash Leicester, Foxes Still Secure Top UCL Group Spot

Leicester's Nampalys Mendy, left, and Jose Ulloa, right, react after Porto scored their fifth goal during a Champions League group G soccer match between FC Porto and Leicester City Wednesday at the Dragao stadium in Porto, Portugal. Photo: Paulo Duarte / Associated Press

PORTO, Portugal — FC Porto breezed into the Champions League knockout phase Wednesday with a 5-0 rout of Leicester, which had already secured top spot in Group G on its debut in European soccer’s elite competition.

Porto’s emphatic victory over the much-changed English champions ensured it was not overtaken by FC Copenhagen, which beat Club Brugge 2-0.

Andre Silva scored twice, including a penalty, while Jesus Corona, Yacine Brahimi and Diogo Jota also netted as Leicester slumped to its first Champions League loss.

Leicester finished two points ahead of Porto with 13 points from six games. In its Premier League title defense, Leicester has 13 points from 14 games to sit two points above the relegation zone.

Leicester defied 5,000-1 odds to be crowned Premier League champions for the first time in May and has advanced to the round of 16 in its first foray into the Champions League.

But this was a humiliating end to the group stage for the central England team, which lacked cohesion and confidence.

With Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez and Robert Huth left at home, Leiecster’s shadow squad never got close to the 2004 European champions as manager Claudio Ranieri gambled on reviving its Premier League season by resting his big names.

While changes were expected, Ranieri sprung a surprise by picking 29-year-old goalkeeper Ben Hamer, who last played for the senior side almost two years ago.

Porto went in front after six minutes, with Silva beating Jeff Schlupp to head in a corner from six yards.

The Foxes barely made it out of their own half and Alex Telles swung in a fine delivery for the unmarked Corona to volley in the second.

Leicester was offering little resistance and Brahimi added Porto’s third, a minute before halftime, when he finished off a neat move with a back-heel.

Porto went further in front in the 64th minute after Danny Drinkwater clumsily fouled Silva, who then converted from the penalty spot.

Porto added a fifth when Jota was sent clear and he struck through Hamer’s legs on a comfortable night for the hosts.