Gas Station Deaths Caused by Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The Shell gas station where Tattiya Bunnag and Prateung Tongead were found dead March 25 in Bang Na district.

BANGKOK — Police on Wednesday said carbon monoxide poisoning was responsible for the deaths of two people at a Bang Na gas station last month.

Final autopsy results found Tattiya Bunnag, 37, and Pratueng Tongead, 52, who were found dead on the morning of March 25 at a Shell gas station on Soi Sukhumvit 105, succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning, police Capt. Weerasak Tongbo said.

Read: Suicide Unlikely in Gas Station Deaths: Police

Gas from the exhaust pipe of the 12-year-old Ford Escape leaked into the passenger cabin, Weerasak said, quickly reaching fatal levels.

Weerasak said Tattiya and Prateung were colleagues driving back from a management seminar in the Ratchada area. Police said they were one kilometer away from their workplace when they decided to pull over for a nap due to exhaustion, and fell into a deep sleep at the gas station before dying.

The truck where Tattiya Bunnag and Prateung Tongead were found dead March 25 at a Shell gas station in Bangkok’s Bang Na district.

Related stories:

Suicide Unlikely in Gas Station Deaths: Police

Two People Drove Into Bangkok Gas Station and Died This Morning